The Commission's role
Our functions include:
- development and provision of mental health policy and advice to the government
- leading the implementation of the Mental Health Strategic Policy
- articulating key outcomes and determining the range of mental health services required for defined areas and populations across the state
- specifying activity levels, standards of care and determining resourcing required
- identifying appropriate service providers and benchmarks and establishing associated contracting arrangements with both government and non government sectors
- providing grants, transfers and service contract arrangements
- ongoing performance monitoring and evaluation of key mental health programs in Western Australia
- ensuring effective accountability and governance systems are in place
- promoting social inclusion, public awareness and understanding of matters relating to the wellbeing of people with mental illness to address stigma and discrimination.
The Mental Health Commission provides leadership and support in a new approach to the delivery of mental health services based on our vision.